Fundamentals of Ayurveda Training
at Down Under School of Yoga
Spring 2017 Training has begun! Check back for 2018 dates.
Understand the history and philosophy of Ayurveda through ancient texts and sanskrit study
Discover the doshas, or constitutional types, and their impact on digestion and lifestyle
Explore pranayama breathing techniques and meditation
Master techniques for cleansing, physical activity, and nutrition to achieve balance and health
Immerse yourself in study and practice as a way of integrating the principles of Ayurveda into your personal and professional life. This course is an in-depth introduction to the core concepts and fundamental principles of Ayurveda, including its philosophical approach and its practical applications.
2017 Program Dates
Mar 31-Apr 2 | Apr 28-30 | May 19-21 | Jun 16-18 | Jul 14-16 |
Aug 4-6 | Sep 15-17 | Oct 20-22 | Nov 3-5 | Nov 17-19
Fridays 7:15–9:15pm | Saturdays 1:30–7:30pm | Sundays 12:30-7:30pm
All sessions take place at Down Under School of Yoga in Newton.
Under the direction of Kate O'Donnell and Hilary Garivaltis, students in this 200 hour training will be fully immersed in Ayurveda as a way of life while sharing space with a community of like-minded individuals. The training is specifically created for:
- Yoga teachers and depth practitioners of yoga interested in deepening their personal practice.
- Individuals on a professional track in holistic health and wellness.
- Those interested in improving their health and general well being.
This is a complete program that may be accepted in many current schools of Ayurveda for those students who are interested in furthering their studies and/or becoming a professional in the field of Ayurveda.
Detailed Course Description
- History and Philosophies of Ayurveda (19.5 hours): Review of the history of Ayurveda and the six perennial philosophies that under pin Ayurveda and Yoga.
- Sanskrit overview including vocabulary and chanting (11.5 hours): Introduction to the Sanskrit alphabet, vocabulary works, pronunciation, shlokas and chants of yoga and Ayurveda.
- Ayurvedic Lifestyle (42 hours): In depth look at the biological rhythms best suited for a healthy lifestyle as well as daily practices to maintain vigor and health in the body.
- Ayurvedic Anatomy and Physiology (28.5 hours): Overview of the body through the lense of the five elements, the three doshas, the seven tissues and the complex channel system of the human body.
- Digestion and Nutrition (21.5 hours): Overview of the digestive system from both the Ayurvedic and western viewpoint and the unique approach to nutrition based on Ayurvedic principles.
- Yoga and Ayurveda/ Ayurvedic Psychology (50 hours): Overview of the connection between Ayurveda and Yoga in regard to the mind.
- Simple Home Remedies for health and prevention (4.5 hours): A basic approach to “kitchen medicine” for everyday ailments.
- Student practicum/presentations (22.5 hours): Students will present a project to the class as part of their mastery of the course information.
$3000* Early Bird by January 1st, 2017 / $3200* thereafter or with payment plan. Please see the application for additional details and payment plan options.
Tuition includes 150-page manual, a copy of the Bhagavad Gita, massage oil, tongue scraper, nasya oil, eye drops, and spice blends and food during cooking weekends.
*Two additional required texts and catered meals during training are not included in the tuition.
Please email David at email@example.com
Application Process: Applicants are required to submit a completed Fundamentals of Ayurveda Training application along with a $600 non-refundable deposit. Upon acceptance, trainees will be expected to pay remaining balance or submit a credit card for payment plan no later than 1/01/17.
Cancellation & Refund Policy: A completed application and $600 deposit are required to secure space in the training. The remaining balance of $2400 must be received by January 1, 2017. For payments received on or after Jan. 2 or to participate in the payment plan, the balance increases to $2600. If applicant is not accepted for any reason, the $600 deposit will be refunded. No refunds will be made after the training starts.
Absence/Make-Up Policy: Students may miss one weekend of the training without being required to complete make-up sessions and will be expected to get notes from a classmate and pass the weekend quiz. For additional absences, students will be required to complete make-up sessions at a cost of $150/hour. Each training day can be made up in a one-hour private class.
Grievance Policy: If a trainee has a grievance and believes that her/his rights have been violated, a written complaint must be submitted to the program Director, who has one week to determine next steps.